Saturday, June 4, 2011

Doing it with a pro

A couple of weeks ago my friend Dottie suggested I stop into a storefront on 8th Street, the Village Alliance.  They were going to do Village walks and it sounded like something I would be interested in.  Every Saturday  from 5/28/11 to 9/24/11 one of three different guides will be taking people on a walking tour of 8th Street.  Not throughout the village just 8th Street.  Today it was Michael Morrows' turn.  Each tour guide takes a different point of view.  Michael describes his tour as dry and factual.  He recommended Jane Marx's tour to me.  He described her as a very funny Rosalind Russell type, who focuses on the women who lived in the area.
Mr. Morrows is quite good.  He had a "cheat sheet" with him which he referenced every once in a while but for the most part he talked extemporaneously.  He seemed to know all about the Architects, politicians, artists, and all the dates and places they lived and hung out.  Two new pieces of info for me.  Among the Georgian red brick buildings on St. Mark's Place between 2nd. Ave. and the Bowery is the last home of Alexander Hamilton's widow, Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton.
Today it's a unique clothing store very popular with Lady Gaga, according to Mr. Morrows.  Who has actually turned out to be very accurate.  I try to vet my sources.  I love that expression, vet.  Especially when it's being done to politicians.
The second thing I learned on my tour:  "I heard it through the grapevine" is a saying that originated in the Village at a bar called "the Grapevine".  It was located at Sixth Avenue and 11th Street, directly across from the old courthouse. In the early to mid 19th Century it was the hangout for artists, politicians, lawyers, judges, union officers and southern spies.  After a couple of drinks there would be some loose lips and so the tavern was the source for a lot of juicy info.

No comments: