Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Return

It has been quite awhile since I've signed in and did some blogging.  First and foremost I am back "at it" because Sarah said she missed it.  Which was incredibly encouraging.  Thank you, Sarah.
There have been other interesting reactions to the blog.  Some think it's a diary of what I am doing.  Others think it's more photography than anything else.  If you add in some of the history of the city that I have been including then I would say, yes. It is all of those things.

While considering a return to the blog I thought I would focus on one area that included all the things that interest me.  I think my visits to the churches of New York will be an excellent focus: great history, great photos ops, and it's what I do.  Yeah I go to church and love it.  They are truly sanctuaries in this city and as the city gets more and more congested, loud and aggressive, sanctuary is a godsend.

 
Grace Church is located on Broadway between 10th and 11th Streets and is one of my favorite places to go for some peace and quiet.
It was originally incorporated in 1808 at Broadway and Rector Streets.  As the city grew northward it moved to it's present location in 1843.
The architect is James Renwick. He was 24 years old and had only built one other edifice and that was the Croton reservoir. Though he had never seen a Gothic Cathedral it was his commission to build one.  James Renwick went on to build the Smithsonian Institution, Vassar College and St. Patrick's Cathedral.
The church has always had an affluent congregation and one of them, Catherine Lorillard Wolfe provided the funds for the construction of the Chantry [Chapel] and the rectory.
In 1894 a boys choir was formed and buildings were bought on 4th Ave. to provide a school for them.  Grace Church School now owns a number of buildings on 4th Ave. and they have started a High School.  They are forming the High School one grade at a time.  2014 will begin the First Junior grade.  Tuition at the school is $39,200.

Sanctuary is free and the organ afternoon meditations are free.
   http://music.gracechurchnyc.org/current-music-list/

That is the organ for the church and the website showing their music calendar, both are exceptional.

No comments: