Thursday, October 27, 2011

Movie house

 Went to the Sunshine Movie House on Houston to see, "The Skin I live In".  Pedro Almodovar's new movie.  Many of his movies have won awards and been critical successes.  I've seen Volver, Talk to Her, All About My Mother, Live Flesh, High heels, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Matador, and Dark Habits.  I love movies.  A lot of his films are about the battle between the sexes.  However, in an Almodovar movie the gender of the sexes can not be taken at face value and the battles are with knives and guns.  His plots are often about seeking revenge.  Some of them are very good, as is All About My Mother and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.  The Skin I Live In is a typical Almodovar movie but not one of his best.
The Sunshine was built in 1898 as a theater and Yiddish vaudeville house.  It was known as the Houston Hippodrome.  For 50 years it was a hardware storehouse.  On 12/21/2001 it opened as an art-house film showcase with 5 screens, stadium seating, and Dolby digital surround sound.  The renovation and interior design were done by Pleskow and Rael. 

No comments: