Thursday, August 11, 2011

Follies

No this is not another piece on world order.  it's about a musical; I just keep walking.  Tuesday I saw 'Follies' at the Marquis Theater.  It is one of my favorite Stephen Sondheim musicals and this is one of my favorite productions of any of the Sondheim shows I've seen.  The reason?  The book is emphasized, the 'ghosts' are made clear from the beginning, and we are watching great musical performers acting and bringing to life real, fascinating, people.  I was taken aback at first site of Bernadette Peters.  She looks like a small depressed middle-aged, middle-America housewife.  She's Sally and she's supported by Jan Maxwell [Phyllis], Ron Raines [Ben], Danny Burstein [Buddy], Elaine Paige [Carlotta], Teri White [Stella] and 45 other performers.  I can't imagine how many people are working off stage.  "Who's that Woman" with Teri White and The Ladies is wonderful.  What was new for me was how operatic the show is.  "Too Many Mornings" tore my heart.  Bernadette Peters hits notes I never heard her sing before and Ron Raines can match her.  If I had deep pockets I'd go again and again.

Too many mornings
wasted in pretending I reach for you.
How many mornings
are there still to come!
How much time can we hope there will be?
Not much time, but it's time enough for me.
If there's time to look up and see
Sally standing at the door,
Sally moving to the bed,
Sally resting in my arm
With your head against my head.
                           End Act 1
The romantic dreams they have lived with all their lives ... reality comes in act 2.

No comments: